Depression is often an emotional reaction to overwhelming circumstances:
- We may find ourselves in a situation where we feel helpless, so we disengage emotionally.
- We may feel angry but unable to show it.
- We may feel frustrated but unsafe to vent it.
- We may feel burdened but inadequate to bear it.
Since we can’t seem to express what we’re really feeling, we choose to feel nothing to all. The end result we seek is a cessation of the pain. But ignoring pain doesn’t make it go away, and minimizing the damage often leads to greater hurt.
My book Turning Your Down Into Up: A Realistic Plan For Healing From Depression can help you:
- determine whether you are depressed
- understand why you can’t just “snap out of it”
- decide whether medication might be a good option for you
- see the link between depression and overdependence on social media
- recognize the spiritual components of depression
- be encouraged that you can find healing
For a free copy of Turning Your Down Into Up, comment on one of my updates about the book giveaway posted to my Facebook page (be sure to Like the page too), Twitter page (be sure to Follow me too), or Google+ (be sure to Follow me too), August 19 through September 15, 2013.
Founder, The Center for Counseling and Health Resoruces
Author, Turning Your Down Into Up Into Up (with Ann Murray)