Our families today are under attack on so many different fronts. Your commitment to implement changes, and to recommit to doing better for your family’s sake are all buffers against the tide of destruction lapping at the shores of the family unit. As irresistible as those forces seem, I wanted to remind you, through the verse below, of the power of God and the power of promise:
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. ~Proverbs 22:6
God is a mighty warrior when it comes to protecting and guiding your family! We must communicate to our children their internal worth in God.
As a way to provide you with a quick reference for major concepts I have covered in this blog series of excerpts from Healthy Habits, Happy Kids, I’ve put together a checklist of support regarding the SOAR concept. As you read it, you’ll have a way to evaluate how you and your family are doing. Each will come in a form of a statement. As you read each statement, personally evaluate the truth in your own life.
Commit to living out these statements in the life of your family:
- I motivate my family to change out of love for them.
- I am committed to providing my family with the stability of my love through changes.
- I accept each family member’s pace of change, understanding that even slow pace is progress toward our goals.
- I expect the best from each member of my family every day.
- Understanding my own issues, I make sure to examine my motivations.
- I provide positive verbal support to each member of my family.
- I visualize these changes as permanent.
- Through prayer, personal study, meditation, nd godly friends, I plug into God’s support for me and my family.
SOURCE: Chapter 11, “Staying On Course,” in Healthy Habits, Healthy Kid: A Practical Plan to Help Your Family by Gregory L. Jantz, PhD., founder of The Center for Counseling and Health Resources Inc.
Review Blog Schedule (every weekday devoted to excerpts from a different book by Dr. Jantz)
Follow Dr. Jantz on Twitter
Fan Dr. Jantz on Facebook