Since founding The Center for Counseling and Health Resources nearly 30 years ago, I’ve witnessed some pretty profound changes in the men, women and adolescents who have found help and hope here. Invariably, the happiest among them are those who have learned to live by the the ten directives outlined below. May this top 10 list, of sorts, and the accompanying quotes from some of my books, inspire you to aspire for bigger and better ways of living in 2013.
1) Live in the moment. “Keep today strictly in its borders and don’t allow fear to fudge the edges.” ~Overcoming Anxiety, Worry and Fear: Practical Ways to Find Peace
2) Act. “Wisdom has been called the application of knowledge. Be wise and apply it.” ~Overcoming Anxiety, Worry and Fear: Practical Ways to Find Peace
3) Be honest. “Arriving at truth is a process, especially the more deeply you hurt…. Your focus should not be on the the progress you are making. Don’t doubt the process.” ~Every Woman’s Guide To Managing Your Anger
4) Accept. “Unlike the world, who expects you to hide what you are…God knows everything about you and thinks you are beautiful.” ~Every Woman’s Guide To Managing Your Anger
5) Let go. “Aim for excellence, not perfection, and confidence will be yours.” ~How To De-Stress Your Life
6) Respect. “Respect means you take responsibility for yourself. Respect promises renewal and and keeps you resilient and alive. Respect is your great leap to freedom” ~How To De-Stress Your Life
7) Forgive. “We don’t need to bring evil to its knees. Our job is to ask God to make us forgiving, loving persons and let him take care of the rest.” ~How To De-Stress Your Life
8) Relax. “Saying yes to inner calm isn’t something that can be accomplished in a single, declarative statement. You must continually remind yourself to enter this state of calm and sometimes fight to stay there. With each visit, you work toward staying longer and calmer each time.” ~Overcoming Anxiety, Worry and Fear: Practical Ways to Find Peace
9) Have faith. “When you feel like you’re in over your head and you’re about to be cut off, God says, ‘Do not fear.’ Concentrate on the good; listen to God. Allow his words to fill your soul and give you hope.” ~Overcoming Anxiety, Worry and Fear: Practical Ways to Find Peace
10) Pray. “As you allow God to direct your thoughts and ask him to anoint your desires, he will give you insight and wisdom you need to see your dreams come true.” ~How To De-Stress Your Life
The quotes above are excerpted from the referenced books by Dr. Gregory Jantz, founder of The Center for Counseling and Health Resources.