What Is Depression?
Everyone has reasons to feel sad now and then. Life's disappointments and setbacks can make us feel down for a time, and it's perfectly normal to experience such ups and downs. But if feelings of sadness persist for weeks or months, and are so pervasive that they interfere with daily functioning, you should consider seeking help in a depression treatment program.
What are the symptoms of serious depression? The underlying experience that all depressed people share are feelings of hopelessness and helplessness. People with depression usually also feel pessimistic and anxious, and have a sense of emptiness and low self-worth. Additional symptoms of depression may include:
- Restlessness and irritability
- Loss of interest in formerly pleasurable hobbies and activities
- Feelings of fatigue and low energy
- Difficulty in concentrating and remembering
- Difficulty making decisions
- Change in sleeping habits - sleeping either too little or too much
- Change in eating habits - loss of appetite or increase in appetite with an accompanying weight loss or gain of 5 percent of body weight or more
- Aches and pains or digestive problems
- Feeling of heaviness in the limbs, lethargy and overall slowing down
- Thoughts of suicide, or actual suicide attempts
Mental health treatment professionals usually recommend seeking depression help if a person experiences at least five of the symptoms listed above for the majority of every day (or nearly every day), for two weeks.
Effective treatment for depression involves more than just prescribing a medication. Comprehensive mental health help like the whole-person approach provided by The Center for Counseling and Health Resources evaluates and addresses all facets that make up a complete human being, including physical, emotional, nutritional and spiritual factors. We address the issues at play in all of these areas in order to get to the core reasons for your issues. The Center's depression hotline can answer your questions about getting help, and our depression clinic offers holistic depression rehab services in a caring and professional residential setting.
If you’re depressed it’s important to remember that there is hope, and that treatment works. Find that hope and a new lease on life in a whole-person based depression treatment program at The Center.
The people at the clinic are great. I was afraid at first, but now I look forward to seeing the smiling faces at The Center. Thank you all!read more
In addition to working with most insurance carriers we have other financing options available. We are able to assist most people to get the care they need. There are options available and we will work with you.